Monday, August 3, 2015

Lunchbox Ideas: GF Turkey & Kale Meatballs

With school right around the corner, I am trying to get back into the habit of packing lunches. We really lucked out - one of our neighbors is the cafeteria manager at the school down the road, and throughout the summer we could just throw a coverup over our suits and walk down there for lunch when I didn't want to cook. I've done a post on our packed lunches before (click here) but have recently started packing them for my husband and I, too. It really buys us a lot of weeknight time to already have that out of the way. I still pack the night ahead for the kids so its fun and fresh every day, but my husband and I will be eating the same thing all week.

Here's this past week's meal - GF turkey kale meatballs, brown rice pasta, roast brussels sprouts, pineapple/grapes, and various organic granola bars for an afternoon pick-me-up. All ingredients (including granola, excluding spices that I had on hand) came out to less than $25 - considering that we each spend about $10-$15 every time we buy lunch out, that is a huge savings, plus this is a completely "clean" meal. 


Here's the meatball recipe:

Ingredients
  • 2.5 lbs lean ground turkey
  • 1 cup gluten free oats, ground. (I try to eat flour free for the most part, but this also adds extra protein to meatball)
  • 1 cup kale, finely chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • small chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
  • 1 teaspoon each salt, pepper, and oregano
  • 2 eggs
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients by hand, mixing very well.
  2. Form into 1 1/2 inch meatballs (should end up with around 50)
  3. Place on greased baking sheets, bake at 350 for 30 minutes
I have a sauce recipe that I love and keep in the fridge for pizza nights, quick pastas, etc. but you could totally use any type of pasta sauce with these, OR just eat them plain.


And here's the link for the lunch containers we use:



Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

bgrnd