Monday, January 20, 2014

It's Still Christmas Around Here

I like Christmas, I really do. It is definitely not my favorite "holiday" by a long shot. Easter tops my list, and almost all other spring "holidays", followed by Thanksgiving. But I do enjoy the Christmas season none-the-less.

To be honest, though, I never truly grasped the whole "Jesus is the reason for the season" thing. I mean, yes, I did love Jesus. I understood that He came to Earth as a sweet little baby, and that apart from His sacrifice, we would all be lost.

But this year something clicked, and I attribute it to having a newborn of my own during advent. And because of that, I am a changed woman. I remember looking down at my precious few-day-old son and debating over a vaccination, choosing the most comfortable and beautiful layette, and arguing over co-sleeping vs. a bassinet, and thinking "how could God love me so much as to sacrifice this."

Just as my baby's tiny fingers would become muddy toddler hands, so would His.

Just as my baby's precious tiny toes would become traveling, stumbling feet, so would His.

Just as my baby's little face would soon learn to smile, so would His.

But His hands will end up outstretched on a cross. His feet will have steaks driven through them. His precious smile will be replaced with the words "eli eli lama sabachthani".

And it was all for ME.

My son will not be abandoned, beaten, and shamed. My precious baby will not be spat on, and outcast, and sentenced to a humiliating death. I can hardly even think about that being my child.

But my Lord loves me that much.

He GAVE his son for ME. I get it now. There was once a sweet new baby born into this world, and his sole purpose was to die, because I would one day make mistakes.

He lived to die.

He was born to be hated, and he was obedient to the end. He loves us that much.

I do not love anyone enough to make that sacrifice, end of story. What an amazing love He has for me.

Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.”

John 15:13

 





No comments:

Post a Comment

bgrnd