Monday, January 27, 2020

BEECH MOUNTAIN RESORT FAMILY GUIDE

Today I wanted to break down the wonderful Beech Mountain children's programs, because I couldn't find a ton of info out there when I was doing our trip research. Before I get into the details I just want to say once again...we LOVED Beech, the staff, the programs, the lessons, EVERYTHING. We didn't try Sugar, we plan to do that a bit next year, but since it was our first time, we wanted to lock in and get to know one place, vs acquainting ourselves with another location after becoming familiar with one the day prior. Make sense? The reason we chose Beech over Sugar was the fact that Sugar's nursery is contracted out through another company and Beech's is through Beech Mountain Resort. This tends to seal the deal for me, I often make our summer camp/resort vacation/etc. decisions based on who is responsible for our kids. That was truly our decision maker.

Let's start with the nursery!

Snowflakes childcare center was awesome. The director, Morgan, was so kind and called me personally the day prior to double check that she had our reservation correct. They do require reservations ($15/hr) as well as a packed lunch. We originally planned to ski the day prior so Annie's reservation was modified when we changed our plans earlier in the week, and it was super simple and quick. On our first day, she was there all day, we dropped her off at 8:30 and pulled her out at 3 to watch the kids finish their lessons. It's a little bit of a hike from the main parking lot where we needed to park in order to carry all of our gear, so you'll definitely need your little ones to be dressed in full winter gear for the walk in. Once she was all settled in the room, she stayed in the whole time. We packed her a sandwich, yogurt, and some popcorn, and then they also provided Teddy Grahams, Go-Gurt, Goldfish, and juice. Annie was the only reservation this day so she ruled the roost. The report I got was "Lots of Frozen, lots of snacks, and a solid nap." Morgan also texted me to let me know when Annabeth wanted to call to check in with me, and I was able to call when I could take a break on the mountain. All around, it was an amazing experience for her, I felt totally comfortable leaving her and enjoying a date day with John on the slopes, and Annie was so ready to go back the next day.

All of the info on their website can be found HERE.


TRAXX
Oh my, let me tell ya, if my kids could be homeschooled anywhere and by anyone of their choosing, it would be inside Traxx with their instructors. They LOVED their time at Traxx, and their instructors really had their attention the whole time. I've never seen anyone capable of getting my kids to focus as well as they did. 


We went the week following the Christmas/New Years holiday, and that was a wise decision, so it seems. Traxx has a 25 child limit, and they were maxed out the week before we arrived. My three happened to be 3 of the 4 students in Traxx the week we were there, and essentially, had their own instructors all day long. My boys stuck together with two instructors alternating, and Isabella was with another boy, but once her instructor believed she was ready to take the lift up, they brought in another instructor for the other student and she spent the second half of her day on the slopes with him. We actually rarely saw her after this point, because he had her up lifts that John and I...I...wasn't ready for ;)


Traxx provides students with their skis, helmets, snacks (fig newtons, lemonade, hot cocoa, chips), and lunch (burger, chicken, etc.), as well as their full day of instruction/breaks for $100. Literally. Worth. Every. Penny. Student's need to submit their lunch order prior to the day's start at 9, as well as bring their own goggles, and I believe their own bibs - we had our own so we didn't check. Their gear is kept in the Traxx building, so we didn't check theirs out and haul it around with us. 

Besides their instructors, they also have a room monitor (I don't know what to call her, lol?) who oversees helping them with their gear/snacks/etc. if needbe, and she is always in their classroom. I popped by once and didn't see Eli with his instructor and he happened to be inside with her having his goggles swapped out for a pair from lost and found because he broke his. They spend an hour getting acquainted in their room, two hours on the magic carpet with a ten minute break, then they have a one hour lunch break, and repeat the two hour block either on the magic carpet, or on the green freestyle slope if they're ready. Anything beyond that (i.e. Bella going somewhere else or going up earlier than lunchtime) is communicated very well via the classroom director if you ever need to check in. 


We respected their wishes (that are posted all over so you don't forget ;) ) to keep a distance and allow the instructors and students to stay focused, but occasionally if we crossed paths, their instructors would have them show us some skills, do an obstacle course with us, or just ski for a few minutes with us. I'm sure this was because they were the only ones, and is likely not the case on a busier week. By the end of their first day, all of my kids had been on the lift a few times with their instructors, and they were absolutely beaming.
Kids can be checked out at 3 and keep their gear up until 4:30, and also have a lift ticket for that time, so if you want an opportunity to ski with your kids but don't have a second day planned, it's a great little window of time to take advantage of without renting more gear! 




















Each kid had their own cubby, the parent check in area has all of the info you need, and behind the Traxx area is the Snow Camp area for 3-5 year olds. I can't wait to see Annie here next year! You can find more info on TRAXX HERE! Also, you can check out SNOW CAMP HERE.





 John and I also found the adult lessons VERY helpful, and we fully enjoyed the other amenities Beech had to offer while our kids were in their lessons - they offer ice skating, tubing, ski/snowboard lessons, a brewery, a restaurant, some small shops, etc.

Alright, this wraps up my winter series here on the blog, you can read post one HERE and post two HERE - back to the real beach, shall we??



No comments:

Post a Comment

bgrnd