Friday, February 15, 2013

Weekly Wrap Up - Valentine's Edition

"Greater love has no one but this, that He lay down His life for his friends"
-John 15:13


This was our verse of the week, and is a great verse to trail Valentine's day as we prepare for the upcoming Easter season

I have to admit - I am a total sucker for holidays. Valentine's Day and Easter have always been among my favorite, so it was only natural that we VDay-ed ALL week (yes, even Friday).


Tot School Sensory Activites

For more tot school ideas, visit 1+1+1=1



 I re-introduced tot time for Baby J in the mornings, we strayed for awhile due to wacky nap schedules, but we are back on track! Every morning we start school with tot time which almost always includes a sensory bin. This week we went with a V-Day bin, including colored rice, pom poms, foam shapes, and every kitchen gadget their little hearts desired. 




Baby J buried, poured, stepped in, and tried to eat the rice while I worked with Little B on some harder skills. She and I did some patterns with the silicone molds (scoop, scoop, pom pom, scoop, scoop, pom pom, etc.) and I had her count out her numbers of the week with the rice and tweezers.








In honor of Valentine's day, I made some chocolate peanut butter play dough (1C PB, 2C powdered sugar, 2/3C honey, 2T cocoa powder) and we used letter cookie cutters to cut out our letters of the week.




OK - on to preschool

She worked on most of the Valentine's Pre-K Pack throughout the week. 

We also did some sweethearts graphing:


We made symmetry hearts, but I forgot to take photos in action...you can see them hanging under the banner in the background.


Our "recipe" this week was "Cupid Crunch) which is pretty self explanatory:





And my favorite moment? Our scavenger hunt! I'm not big on candy in the house, so this was a HUGE treat! At each stop along the way, Little B would have to match the letter on the front of the clue she had just found with it's matching lowercase letter. Once together, the whole "clue" was together, and we could move on to the next.







They each had a package awaiting them in the oven...



                                       Sweet girl LOVES her LUSH bath bombs :)

Baby J's


Little B's

Separate from school, we had a great family week celebrating Valentine's Day. Like I said, I'm a sucker! 

I let sweet girl stay up "late" (9:30) the night before to bake surprises for her daddy, just like I have done EVERY year since I was 15. Speaking of which, I have a photo of that first year!!!


Anyway, we baked pineapple upside down cupcakes (recipe below) and dipped strawberries



Also new to tradition this year - I had to leave him a note warning him of the possible unsanitary condition of the berries after discovering that B totally did NOT taste test the chocolate while I was flipping the cupcakes...


And as always, my handsome dude totally spoiled me, and our celebrations haven't even started yet (we are having our dinner date tonight)


It warms my heart to see my husband leave our daughter flowers and gifts on the counter with mine each year.  He even left her an extra rose by her head on the bed for when she woke up :)














Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes


These are SO much easier than a full cake!

 Start with your favorite boxed mix (yeah, you heard me right...). 

Take a half stick of butter and melt it down. Pour a teaspoon (NOT Tablespoon!!!) of the butter in the bottom of each unlined, greased cupcake tin. 

Sprinkle a teaspoon of brown sugar on top of the butter in each tin.

Place a canned pineapple chunk and a half of a maraschino cherry in each tin.

Pour TWO tablespoons of batter in each tin. The cupcakes can not be too large or they will not sit flat once they are flipped.

Bake at 350 for 11-13 mins 

 Run a knife along the edges, and flip out of tins immediately after they come out of oven. Be careful not to splatter yourself!




















2 comments:

  1. Those heart shaped scoops in the sensory bin are adorable! I also love the pink rice. Our sensory bin was mostly red and seeing yours makes me think that next year, I will do a soft pink like that. Glad you had a good Valentine's week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete